Sunday, November 12, 2017

You say, I say!

Well, communication plays a very important role in our life. A wrong word or sentence say can cause misunderstanding. I find that is very important that to always think before we say.

Like eg singlish, using the phrase like ‘You win already’ is an indirect speech or an implicit way of being sarcastic or expressing unhappiness to the person who is good in performing his or her task. The phrase would not be rude, less face-threatening and appealing to more positive face to the person However, if the person who does not understand the meanings of this phrase, he or she would misinterpreted it ass oh I  win a game and thought that they got to receive praises from someone. 


 Have you met with an embarrassing situation because you misunderstood what someone else said? Like Metaphor Blunder situation?

 I had and I felt that tt's so totally embarrassing for me to faced such a situation and felt like want to hide in a corner or escape to somewhere as possible.

I really had misunderstood for my friend's intention and thought that she was lame. It happened long ago and my friend had compose a music for me to listen and I found that it's really quite good.  I praise my friend for playing the piano so well and was so talented. Well, you will be thinking that she would reply to you ''thanks for your praising''.  However, she replied me that ''What you have say is music to my ears''. Yes,  I did not know the true meaning of it and thought she was being lame and so I was laughing. 



Then, my friend ask me ''What are you laughing so at?'' I told her that ''Why are you being so lame and tell me I sound like music?''.  After that, she told me that she used metaphors to describe that she was really happy with my praising. When I heard it, I felt so embarrassed and my face turned red. I had misunderstood my friend's intention. This situation really make me learn a lesson. It's suppose to be a good situation but because of me acting smart and making it like embarrasing. 


Metaphors are so confusing and there might be people might not understand.Sometimes, it's so hard to figure out whether others are praising or scolding you. Okay, awy, don't laughed or make fun of people if they don't really know. 

You say, I say! Everyone is different too! I find that it is important to learn to respect each others. I find that it is also very important to learn from each other cultures Also, if the person don't really understand what you are talking about, you can try to explain in a nice way and explain clearly to the person. Another point is, if you don't understand what is the person is trying to say, don't be shy and don't need to second guess what the person is talking about. You can asked the person nicely and to clarify it. Ask when in doubt. Lastly, I find that the appropriate use of  metaphors and singlish actually can help us to make sense of the world and  to understand each others better.

Thanks for reading:D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any doubts/questions to ask or comments or experiences which you want to share after reading it? Leave a comment below, I would try reply and answer it back if possible. Thanks for visiting.