Wednesday, October 11, 2017

5 ways not to show favouritism to your children?

As parents, do you always say that you do not shown favoritism to your children? My parents also say that to me and to my elder sister too. I have 1 elder sibling.   I am a teacher before and I always thought that I won't be the same as my parents one and I won't shown any favoritism to my students but I am so wrong until one of my student say that 'Teacher, you are bias!.  Then, I realised I also do make the same mistake as my parents too.


1.  Try  not to praise the child in-front of others
 One of my student in the class did well for the test while the rest did not. I kept praising the student who scoared well in class and told the rest of the class how the student had did well. The student who done well also become proud and boasted the results to other classmates in the class too.

One of my student who did not score well and so had pointed out to me that I was bias that made me realised that I had made a mistake which also affected the whole class.

Everytime, when I try to recall the whole scenario again I really felt guilty and regretted what I had done.

So, I hope that the parents or as an adult don't do that. Well, is not an easy job but do try to explain, teach your child and show that you are not showing any favoritism to anyone.  Well, everyone do make mistakes even parents also can make mistakes. So, if you have make mistakes, try to admit your own mistake and don't repeat it.  

 I always thought that I won' be a bias person but I actually show it without knowing/ aware of it.

You can praise the child by writing it privately on the student's test paper. Praise your child appropriately. Also, it is important to teach the child that it is nothing to be boasted about and teach your child to learn to be more empathetic to others.

2. Do not compare the child with others or in-front of others  

So,if your child never do well, do not try to compare your child with others or compare in-front of others.  Remember that, each of us has different abilities! Well, some tend to learn faster while other might be slower in learning. Well, I believe that everyone have their own potential and is not depend on how fast or slow is! 



3. Teach your children to learn about 'Sharing.'  and not become a selfish person

'Sharing' is an important part in our life! Learn to become selfless and not selfish. Teach your children to learn to share things with others. Eg, sharing toys together. Also, parents also have this habit to pass the old clothes or games which the elder child has wear or played before to the younger sibling without any explanation which actually can cause some misunderstandings to the younger siblings thinking that the parents are being favoritism. I think is important to explain it to the child well and let the young sibling know about it clearly.  Teach them the concept of 'Sharing' and to let them understand well to avoid any misunderstandings

4. Treat all equally and fairly

For eg, you can get to buy the same foods for all children and not one of the siblings able to get to have larger portion of food or better quality of food.


5. Have team-building or role-playing games.

Role-playing games is also one of my favourite activity. It can let the child to stand in the shoes of others and be aware of how others feel. Do create meaningful scenarios for the children to role play.


 Do you have any other ways or methods, do share and comment too! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any doubts/questions to ask or comments or experiences which you want to share after reading it? Leave a comment below, I would try reply and answer it back if possible. Thanks for visiting.